Knowing better our Immune System!
Awareness is of the utmost importance for both early testing of our immune system and the earliest possible beginning of treatment, where required!
Paediatric Immunology Department provides services to children and adolescents showing symptoms of diseases caused when the immune system is missing or does not function properly and therefore is prevented from surviving in balance with the environment by recognizing and responding to foreign invasive elements, and simultaneously recognizing self from non-self.
Immune System is our main defense, but it is not workable for all of us. Everyday our body detects various germs and infectious agents, and is trained to recognize and fight infections, microbes, bacteria, and viruses. It protects us through a complex network of substances and cells in our blood, which communicate and work in synergy with tissues and organs for our defense. The duty of our immune system is to keep foreign invaders away in order to win and be healthy, even if we fall temporarily ill. Most of the times, but not always, the aforementioned procedure works and it does not work for all of us. When it does not, we fight from recovering from simple infections such as flue, bronchitis. Not all of us win this fight.
Some people are born with their immune system not properly working. This may result in Primary Immunodeficiency (PID), which makes a person get sick more often than others. Primary Immunodeficiency (PID) is a group of more than 400 disorders of the immune system, with differing levels of gravity. They appear when one or more of the primary parts of the immune system function improperly. People with PI cannot be released from pathogens or properly protected from pathogens, causing frequent infections and other problems not easily cured. Infections might seem common diseases, such as ear infections, pneumonia, fever, colds, and bronchitis. Sometimes the infections might last longer than usual or be accompanied by complications or other conditions, which cannot be easily cured.
Early diagnosis and proper treatment save lives!
Clinical manifestations vary; they have a wide range from mild to serious. Most frequently appear with frequent, recurrent occasional, or serious infections, but, not rarely, as allergy, autoimmunity, autoinflammatory diseases and/or lymphohyperplasia. These are complex diseases, which often manifest from different systems and usually require the cooperation of many specialties.
Primary immunodeficiencies are rare, though not as they were once thought. They need specialized laboratory-based access targeting their accurate and exact diagnosis and proper causal treatment, in order to achieve better quality of life, a normal life for children and adolescents.
Simultaneously, the role of Paediatric Immunology is determinant in many diseases with multifactorial etiology, with clear intervention of the immune or defensive system and development of close cooperation with similar/ associated specialties such as Paediatric Infectious Disease Specialist, Paediatric Hematologist, Paediatric Rheumatologist, Paediatric Allergist, Paediatric Gastroenterologist, Paediatric Endocrinologist and Paediatric Neurologist.
Provided Medical Services
- Diagnosis and treatment of patients with Inborn Error of Immunity / Primary Immunodeficiency (PID)
- Contribution in investigation-diagnosis-treatment of patients with immune medical diseases, more often presented with symptoms from the respiratory system, gastrointestinal system or the skin, with increasing frequency or particular-atypical demonstration or/ and cahexia:
- Frequent-recurrent serious-atypical infections
- Frequent-recurrent or periodic febrile episodes
- Severe or atypical allergies, especially dermatitis in infancy
- Atypical or uncommon autoimmune, autoinflammatory phenomena, especially autoimmune cytopenia during childhood and adolescence
- Manifestations of lymphohyperplasia
- Contribution in selecting the proper immunomodulatory treatment/ immune intervention - immunotherapy, personalized medicine.
Maria Kanariou, Chief