The Audiology Department at IASO Children’s Hospital is staffed by qualified and experienced healthcare professionals and performs the entire range of audiologic diagnostic tests, most of which can be performed even without the child’s cooperation. The Department is fully organized and equipped with the latest technology.
Early diagnosis and management of hearing disorders constitutes an essential requirement for a child’s normal speech development and smooth mental, social and learning development.
The Audiology Department performs hearing tests in children who:
- failed the initial hearing screening test (universal screening) or have not undergone it yet
- manifest delayed speech development
- manifest delayed psychomotor development
- manifest recurrent otitis media (middle ear infections)
As part of preventive screening, our Department also examines preschoolers and, in rare cases, children manifesting vertigo and balance disorders.
The diagnostic lab tests performed include:
- pure-tone audiometry (PTA)
- measurement of acoustic reflexes
- transient evoked otoacoustic emissions (TEOAEs)
- distortion product otoacoustic emissions (DPOAEs)
- automated auditory brainstem response (a-ABR)
- auditory brainstem response (ABR)
- auditory steady state response (ASSR)