The Audiology Department at IASO Children’s Hospital conducts the whole range of audiologic diagnostic tests, most of which can be performed even without the child’s cooperation. The Department is fully organized and equipped with state-of-the-art medical equipment.
Early diagnosis and management of hearing disorders constitutes an essential requirement for a child’s physiologic speech development and normal mental, social and learning progress.
The Audiology Department performs audiologic evaluations in children who:
- failed the initial hearing screening test (mass screening) or have not been subjected to it yet
- manifest delayed speech development
- manifest delayed psychomotor development
- manifest recurrent otitides media (middle ear infections)
Within the framework of preventive screening, our Department also performs investigations in preschoolers and, in rare cases, children manifesting vertigo and balance disorders.
The diagnostic lab tests conducted at our Department are:
- pure-tone audiometry (PTA)
- determination of acoustic reflexes
- transient evoked otoacoustic emissions (TEOAEs)
- distortion product otoacoustic emissions (DPOAEs)
- automated auditory brainstem response (a-ABR)
- auditory brainstem response (ABR)
- auditory steady state response (ASSR)
- videonystagmography with irrigation
- vestibular evoked myogenic potentials (VEMPs)